Karthik’s practice focuses on dispute resolution and insolvency.
In his dispute resolution practice, he advises and represents clients in domestic and international commercial arbitrations including before the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), and the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC).
Karthik also appears before various high courts and tribunals in the country including the Supreme Court and the Bombay High Court.
In his insolvency practice, Karthik is actively engaged in mandates involving default enforcement and restructuring under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 and regularly appears before the National Company Law Tribunal and the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal.
Karthik has extensive experience in advising and representing clients with respect to disputes involving private equity and strategic investments as well as large credit facilities. In addition to investors and lenders, he has also acted for promoters.
- Advising and representing IL&FS India Realty Funds (IIRF) and IL&FS Financial Services’ subsidiary IFIN Realty Trust on a batch of international commercial arbitration proceedings against infrastructure companies promoted by Hubtown Limited.
- Representing overseas private equity funds such as Saffron India Real Estate Fund (SIREF), Diamont Dream Investments Limited, and others in disputes over their investments in various infrastructure companies in India.
- Representing HSBC France in the debt restructuring and resolution plans being drawn up by a consortium of lenders for each of Reliance Communication Limited, Reliance Infratel Limited, and Reliance Telecom Limited in the context of the facilities extended by the foreign lender to Reliance Telecom Limited.
- Representing four core lenders of the consortium of lenders of Essar Steel Limited in disputes arising during the corporate insolvency resolution process under Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
- Advising and representing ICICI Bank Limited with respect to initiating the corporate insolvency resolution process under Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 against Unimark Remedies Limited.
- Representing Fermenta Biotech Limited (formerly, DIL Limited) with respect to the corporate insolvency resolution process of Noble Explochem Limited under Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
- Representing SARA Research & Development Centre Private Limited and SARA Chemicals & Consultants in arbitrations arising out of disputes over pharmaceutical and chemical formulation projects with various pharmaceutical and chemical processing companies.
- Representing ATC Telecom Infrastructure Private Limited in arbitration proceedings arising out of disputes over operation and maintenance of mobile telecom towers in India.
- Representing Balaji Motion Pictures Limited in multiple arbitration proceedings in connection with disputes arising out of co-production arrangements.
- Advising and representing Tata Group, Larsen & Toubro Limited, Network 18 Limited, Grasim Industries Limited, and their subsidiaries on multiple mandates concerning corporate restructuring before courts and National Company Law Tribunals.
- Advising National Commodity and Derivatives Exchange (NCDEX) on several mandates involving breach of NCDEX regulations and bye-laws in disciplinary proceedings against intermediaries.
- Representing Royal Orchid Hotels Limited in its dispute with Kamat Hotels Limited regarding the trademark ‘Orchid’ and ‘Royal Orchid’.